Monday, February 16, 2009

Losing Control - More On How To Hold The Yarn

There's a very nice video at Philosopherswool.com on how to knit Fair Isle Knitting style which someone mentioned on Ravelry. Fair Isle is where you knit with two colors at once. I love this style of knitting. At any rate, if you have to knit with both fingers at once doing what are considered two different styles of knitting at once I guess you learn pretty quickly which way keeps the tension and which way loses the slack.

For one, the woman in the video held the yarn over her index fingers way down on her finger (index finger), past the first knuckle in the middle joint. I tend to hold it over the nail bed.

She also talks about keeping the finger close to the needle. A lady in a yarn store was showing me how to do that. I tend to hold my fingers out. No wonder I lose control of the yarn.

I suspect that there is something to know about the angles that needles are best held at in relation to each other but I still haven't heard anyone talk about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment